Expected salary: $48.78 – 53.01 per hour
Location: Vancouver, BC
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is specialized technical, inspectional and regulatory work related to the plan checking and inspection of electrical power, light and equipment installations and fire protection/life safety systems. The incumbent will review plans and specifications for compliance with applicable electrical and building codes, standards, bylaws and regulations; evaluate requests for deviations and equivalencies; and authorize issuance of electrical permits. Considerable independent judgement and action are exercised in the work.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews plans and specifications for building electrical installations and fire protection/life safety systems for compliance with applicable electrical and building codes, bylaws, standards and regulations.
- Authorizes issuance of electrical permits based on acceptability.
- Evaluates requests for deviations and equivalencies and authorizes or recommends acceptance as appropriate.
- Reviews non-compliance matters with project engineers, designers and contractors and discusses required corrections for submitted plans upon request.
- Performs site inspections of commercial, industrial and residential electrical systems and fire protection/life safety system installations.
- Reviews plans and specifications.
- Follows up with engineers and contractors on technical aspects of revised installations.
- Provides clarifications regarding accepted technical information to District Electrical Inspectors on site.
- Coordinates plan checking with staff from the processing centre, permit counter, Fire Department plan examination staff and Engineering, Law and Planning Departments.
- Advises District Electrical Inspectors of plans incorporating building code equivalencies related to life safety systems, deviations from electrical code requirements, and special conditions granted through legal agreements.
- Provides general information to customers on applications for electrical permits.
- Prepares technical reports related to submitted documentation; maintains files and records related to the work.
- Assists the Manager, Trades Inspection, Deputy City Electrician with the preparation of technical bulletins.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade twelve
- An apprenticeship in electrical work
- Considerable experience as a journeyman electrician and District Electrical Inspector as a Safety Officer
- Thorough knowledge of electrical codes and safety standards for electrical products.
- Thorough knowledge of the applicable provisions of the Building bylaw as it relates to electrically connected life and fire safety systems.
- Considerable knowledge of installation and operation standards for life safety equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of acts and regulations related to the work.
- Ability to review plans for conformance with established guidelines and standards and to evaluate requests for deviations and equivalencies.
- Ability to enforce ordinances and rules with firmness, impartiality and good judgement.
- Ability to coordinate electrical plan checking with other branches and departments.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with engineers, contractors, District Electrical Inspectors and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to prepare reports and records related to the work.
- Ability to walk long distances, climb ladders or steps, and work outside in all types of weather.
- Skill in the use of standard testing devices of the electrical trade.
- Certificate of Qualification as an Electrical Inspector.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: IBEW Tech & Ins
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $48.78 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: July 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. .
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site. [ad_2]
Job date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 00:40:25 GMT