Expected salary: $23.81 per hour
Location: Vancouver, BC
Children’s and Women’s Health Centre
Are you efficient and detail oriented? Provide effective support to our teams so we can in turn provide the best health care to our patients.
What you’ll do
- Book patient, including outreach patients according to established priorities and guidelines to coordinate the flow of patients through the PMGP by liaising closely with geneticists, head genetic counsellor, and other laboratories and Programs within B.C. Women’s Hospital (Diagnostic/Ambulatory Program, Fetal Diagnostic Services, Maternal Fetal Medicine) as well as BC Children’s Hospital (Cardiology, Endocrinology, SunnyHill Hospital and other ambulatory clinics as needed).
- Receive initial requests for urgent Oncall referral information from physicians’ offices as well as from ICU, SCN, NICU urgent care wards.
- Determine patient appointment priority by evaluating patient information such as patient history, test results and pertinent reports. Identifies concerns to physician/clinical staff as required.
- Schedule new patient referrals and follow-up appointments according to established priorities, based on degree of urgency, type of medical indication, and type of test or procedure. Book diagnostic procedures for both general and prenatal patients, interpreters, and video conferencing as appropriate. Schedule cases which require urgent consultation with the On-Call Team. Assists in establishing daily patient priority and coordinates the flow of patients through the Program as well working with individual teams consisting of one or more physicians and one or more counsellors.
- Create and maintain Medical Genetics charts, and update the patient database. Initiate and receive retrieval requests for off-site medical records storage with contracted vendor, as well as health records within the hospital.
- Communicate with patients and/or physicians’ offices of scheduled appointments, procedures, and information and/or counselling for preparation required by the patient prior to coming for their appointments.
- Prepare and facilitate completion of requisitions and forms as appropriate by methods such as filling out demographic information and ensuring forms have appropriate signatures.
- Follow up on patient results as ordered by the physician; continuously checking with laboratories and physicians to ensure that patients are sent for tests recommended during counselling appointment.
- Access hospital lab results through computerized hospital systems.
- Monitor and sort patient mail and distribute telephone enquiries related to testing ordered at time of appointment.
- Type material such as correspondence and reports generated by physicians and counsellors from dicta-phone or rough draft using word processing, presentation and database software applications.
- Review for errors and completeness. Mail out all patient letters to appropriate physicians and/or institutions.
- Download and save photo/slide data on patients seen in clinic.
- Receive and handle patient specimens and media between patient care units and other areas of the hospital/site as requested.
- Monitor and order medical supplies and equipments, restock sterile linen, supplies and forms as necessary.
- Work closely with physicians and counsellors to ensure that patients are booked in an appropriate time frame; all records/testing is available.
- Compile logs and statistics for reporting purposes and accumulates data on patient outcomes. Type correspondence such as reports, statistics and other records as required. Answer routine correspondence independently.
- Provide clerical support for academic activities for the Team Medical Geneticist as required by performing duties such as sorting and distributing mail, performing receptionist duties, and typing material.
- Participate in quality monitoring activities as directed, including meetings involving clinically based operational initiatives, and in the development and ongoing maintenance of resources such as updating guidelines, policy and procedure manuals as required.
- Support the development of orientation tools and schedules, providing orientation for new staff, explaining routines and procedures, and providing guidance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12, plus two (2) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Organize work.
- Keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Location 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Work days Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Hours of work 0800-1600
Reference number #113616
What we do
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education. BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. [ad_2]
Job date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 00:32:08 GMT